15th C , Ava  

Posted by ေရွးျမန္မာ in


PAIR OF BURMESE APSARA

Title
The Daughters of Mara
Period : 15th century
Techniques :Terracotta, glazed with cream, green and brown
Origin : Burma (possibly)
Dimensions
Height 43.5 cmWidth 35 cm
Current location : Victoria &Albert Museum, UK
Museum number
173-1875
This ceramic plaque depicts two of the daughters of Mara elegantly posed against a green background. They are wearing decorative red and green garments and elaborate headdresses and jewellery, each with one hand to her side, the other raised and holding a fan. The plaque probably formed part of a larger series illustrating the Buddha's triumph over evil and the rout of Mara's army. The army was placed around the base of the Shwegugyi pagoda in Pegu to distrupt the Buddha while he meditated and sought enlightenment. It may have been combined with another series showing part or all of the Jataka stories (a series of tales recounting the Buddha's previous lives). The practice of decorating pagodas with glazed terracotta plaques modelled in relief with Jataka scenes probably began in Burma in the Mon capital of Thahton. It was brought to Pagan by the Burmese king Anirhuddha about the middle of the 11th century, and their use there, as in Pegu in the later 15th century, was probably as much educational as decorative.

This entry was posted on Jan 18, 2009 at Sunday, January 18, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Dr.Than Tun used this picture as a cover for his book
( ၿမန္မာအႏုပညာလက္ရာပစြည္းမ်ား)

February 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Post a Comment